Here’s where we are on Friday, January 8, in the year 2021 (Anno Domini, or Christian Era, pick whichever you prefer, they are the same, anyhow):
- The U.S. of A. is no longer a world leader.
- The People’s Republic of China has won Word War III without launching a single missile, and no army anywhere in the world was capable of defending us (or, to be fair, none tried).
- It turns out that the Europeans are not as educated as they (and the rest of the world) thought they were, after all.
- Most of us, a few politicians excepted, found we are able to survive vacations without any overseas travel whatsoever.
- Based on news about people getting jabs of unidentified liquids into their bodies, it is beginning to look and sound as if the rich have less immunity than the poor folks.
- No priest, imam, rabbi or, heavens forbid, astrologer can save human lives. Thus far, none of them had.
- Medical personnel are worth more to humans than professional athletes, yet, it doesn’t show in their salaries and sundry perks.
- Crude oil isn’t worth a fig to a society that has no markets. And yet, there exist governments that tax fuel use (Canada, for example).
- We now know how animals in ZOO cages must be feeling. Aliens, if there are any, looking at us through their mighty astronomical equipment, must be amazed. Or gods, if there are any.
- Some predict that the planet will regenerate faster with no people around. And they are doing whatever they can to make sure there are no people remaining anywhere to witness the regeneration.
- Most people don’t need to leave their homes to get their work done. Which seems to put the social worth of some of their work into sad perspective.
- With fast food outlets sitting almost empty, and children sitting in their homes, it turns out that children can survive without fast food.
- Our parents used to nag us about washing our hands and brushing our teeth, and whatnot. Now, governments have taken over. Turns out governments are trying to succeed where our parents have failed, but, on the other hand, some have realized that maintaining basic rules of hygiene isn’t as tough as they feared it would be.
- Most men found that they may be capable of fixing most household items, an incredible thought in a society based on throwing away entire light fixtures where a single bulb replacement would have sufficed.
And, last but definitely not least:
15. The acting profession is the least essential profession of all professions we know. Especially given the pronouncements coming from the following U.S. zip codes: 90027, 90028, 90038, 90068, and 90078 (Hollywood, Los Angeles, California).
The points mentioned above are based on a list that has been circulating around the internet the last few days. How much longer it will continue to circulate freely, nobody knows. The high-tech crowd has been flexing its muscle for quite some time now, and the time has come for it to quickly change into George Orwell’s worst nightmare.
When my family, myself, and several of my friends used to live in a communist country, we used to be younger and tried to laugh the governing comrades off. And, too, we always knew that, if we’re smart enough, we can defect.
Now, we’re asking ourselves: where can we emigrate to? Has the entire world gone crazy?
Judging by the points mentioned above, it has.